Man Utd transfer blow as Barcelona president insists Frenkie de Jong will be on club's pre-season US tour | The Sun
BARCELONA chief Joan Laporta has revealed that Frenkie de Jong WILL travel to the United States for pre-season despite ongoing transfer talks with Manchester United.
De Jong, 25, has been heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford this summer.
United have reportedly had a £71.5million bid accepted by the La Liga giants for the Dutchman, but he is eager to stay at Camp Nou.
And while all parties involved are still unclear about his future, Laporta has confirmed that he will continue his club duties by travelling with the rest of the squad to the US.
On Friday, he said: "It’s not true that we are forced to sell Frenkie de Jong, this is not correct.
"Frenkie’s trip to the US will be decided by Xavi. I understand that Frenkie will be on the US tour."
Read More on Man Utd
Red Devils ANNOUNCE Eriksen, De Jong has ‘no intention’ of leaving Barca
The best casino offers from free spins and bonus cash to no deposit deals
Laporta has continued to insist that the midfielder will not be sold this summer.
Earlier this month, he said: "There are clubs that want him, not just United.
"We have no intention of selling him, he wants to stay.
"Frenkie is considered as one of the best midfielders in the world by all the experts. We are happy to have him.
Most read in Football
IS THAT HAAL?
Man City’s £70m signing Erling Haaland stuns fans by doing a 'student' shop
IS THAT HAAL?
BBC issue grovelling apology for showing wrong footballer over rape arrest
Traore reveals 'secret' to body transformation.. from diet to NO weights
Ronaldo receives £2m-a-WEEK transfer offer to join Saudi Arabian league
FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
"I’m going to do everything I can in my power so that Frenkie stays here, but there’s also a salary issue and that would have to be adjusted."
New United boss Erik ten Hag is still optimistic that the club can strike a deal with the former Ajax man before the transfer window closes.
However, he has lined up two alternative midfield options as a last resort.
Ruben Neves is still on United's radar following another successful season with Wolves.
The Portugal international has two years remaining on his current contract, but Wolves could decide to cash-in if they receive an offer of at least £50m.
Leicester midfielder Youri Tielemans is also being considered as another option.
Read More on The Sun
Schools to send kids home early due to hot weather – is yours on the list?
We were fed up of the housing market so bought a shabby mobile home for £750
But, the Red Devils may have to battle it out with Premier League rivals Arsenal for his signature.
The Gunners have been planning a swoop for the Belgian over the past year, with personal terms already claimed to be agreed.
Source: Read Full Article