Second homeless man dies in the shadow of Parliament in 10 months

Second homeless man dies in the shadow of Parliament in 10 months as Hungarian kitchen worker who was found seriously ill in walkway by friends loses his fight for life

  • Homeless Gyula Remes from Hungary found unresponsive in Westminster 
  • Died after his friends claimed he was smoking spice and drinking alcohol  
  • Was working as a kitchen assistant at Charing Cross station but sleeping rough
  • He is the second homeless person to die after being found in the spot this year 

A homeless man died today after he was found collapsed outside the Houses of Parliament.

He was found unresponsive next to the entrance in Westminster, central London, last night at about 11.30pm.

Medics administered first aid and rushed him to hospital, where he died in the early hours of this morning.

Tributes have been left at the spot where Mr Remes was found unresponsive before later dying in hospital 

Friends of the dead man told Huffington Post how they sleep in the walkway every day.

The victim is believed to be a 45-year-old Hungarian called Gyula Remes. He had been working as as a kitchen assistant at Charing Cross station and sleeping rough for months.

His cause of death is not yet known but his friends say he had taken the drug Spice and drank alcohol. Police confirmed the death is not thought to be suspicious.

He is the second homeless person to have died after regularly sleeping rough in Westminster this year 

A handwritten note was left at the scene in tribute to the Hungarian who has been working as a kitchen assistant but was still sleeping rough 

  • Hotel cancels charity’s Christmas booking for 28 homeless…

    Heartbreak of Britain’s homeless teens: Young girls reveal…

Share this article

Homeless Jamie Leigh, a friend of the man said ‘this shouldn’t happen in our country’, adding that Mr Remes had hoped to find a better life in London.

MPs were told about the death by Labour frontbencher Sir Keir Starmer, who said: ‘I’m given to understand that tragically one of those sleeping just outside the entrance and exit to this place died in the last 24 hours or so.’ 

Gabor Kasza (pictured outside Parliament) said that his friend had been taking spice before he was found ‘all blue’ 

According to his friend Gabor Kasza, 22, Mr Remes had been drinking that night and had been given a cigarette, which he suspected had been laced with the synthetic drug spice.

‘He was drinking, very heavily, and someone gave him some kind of cigarette which he smoked.

‘He said he was going to lie down and then when I came back a few hours later, he was all blue. 

‘We couldn’t resuscitate him. It was definitely spice.’

It comes after Marcos Amaral Gourgel, a 35-year-old Portugese man, was found dead in the same spot in Westminster back in February.

At the time Portuguese government officials confirmed Marcos, who was of Angolan origin, had been deported in 2014 and 2016.

Its Ministry of Portuguese Communities Abroad told respected Portuguese daily Expresso: ‘In 2014 he was deported to Portugal by the British authorities and assisted on his return.

Just 10 months ago Marcos Amaral Gourgel was found in the same spot (pictured: tributes from the time) 

‘In 2016 we were made aware he had been deported again from the UK for being in the country illegally.’

Respected Portuguese daily Correio da Manha claimed his first deportation happened after he served prison time for sexually abusing a child.

It was not made clear how the dead man, who is understood to have had dual Angolan and Portuguese nationality, managed to return to the UK.


Source: Read Full Article