Man found in Hudson River identified as cryptocurrency mathematician

More On:


12-year-old boy dead after taking part in viral ‘blackout challenge’

Men arrested after hauling women’s blanket-wrapped body in car trunk

Port Authority hit with wrongful death suit after man dies during JFK arrest

40K US children have lost a parent to COVID-19, study finds

The man whose body was found floating in the Hudson River Monday has been identified as a mathematician working with cryptocurrency and artificial intelligence, according to police sources and his “devastated” family.

Sources identified the remains found off West 45th Street and 12th Avenue in Manhattan as Shuvro Biswas, 31, adding that there were no immediately apparent signs of foul play.

Biswas’ brother told The Post that he and his family were gutted by the news, noting that they’d tried in vain to get Biswas help as he battled apparent mental illness.

“We’re all extremely devastated,” said Biprojit Biswas, 34, when reached by phone. “There’s no words.

“He’s a really good guy. He’s brilliant,” he continued. “He went to Bronx High School of Science. He went on to study applied mathematics. We’re still not sure where things went wrong.”

Biswas said his sibling was self-employed and most recently working on a cryptocurrency security program, and online profiles show that the younger Biswas also dabbled in artificial intelligence.

He said the family started to see changes in Biswas’ demeanor over the past year, but that he largely kept his struggles to himself.

“He was always a normal, healthy person, or so he led us to believe,” the elder Biswas said. “The changes started coming only in the past year. He would say things that didn’t make much sense from time to time. He had a girlfriend and they had a bad breakup, but I don’t want to say that was the cause of everything. He didn’t really like to share much. He’s a private person.”

Biswas said his family urged his younger brother to talk to someone.

“We tried to convince him to the best of our abilities to seek professional help, but he always denied that he needed psychiatric help,” said Biswas. “He was going to a neurologist but he wouldn’t say for what.” 

In February, the management of the younger Biswas’ West 37th Street apartment building took him to Manhattan Supreme Court, seeking to evict him over a slew of alleged bizarre acts inside the building, including setting fires, openly brandishing a knife and smearing blood inside the elevator, court filings show.

“Defendant is a ticking time bomb who, just months into the Lease, has engaged in numerous incidents of escalating, offensive nuisance-type conduct that threatens the lives, health, safety and well-being of Building staff, Building residents and Building property,” lawyers for the building wrote in one filing.

The filing claimed that Biswas had intentionally set a mattress on fire in his unit — while leaving an open propane tank in the apartment.

He also allegedly brandished a knife, smeared blood in the building elevator, illegally installed surveillance cameras and an alarm system, scattered bullets throughout the building and filed multiple false reports of intruders with the police — one of which saw him greet responding officers by “brandishing [a] sword,” according to the filing.

Biswas’ brother said Biswas had explained the arson allegation as a cooking fire.

“There was a fire in his apartment. He said it was a cooking accident,” he told The Post. “The fire department came in and put it out. The department had some questions for him, but they never came back with the questions.”

The city Medical Examiner’s Office will determine a cause of death.

Additional reporting by Priscilla DeGregory

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article