Incredible moment coronavirus survivor is given guard of honour by NHS heroes as he leaves hospital – The Sun

THIS is the incredible moment a coronavirus survivor is given a guard of honour by NHS heroes as he leaves hospital.

Hylton Murray-Philipson was treated at the Leicester Royal Infirmary for 12 days as he battled the deadly bug – finally discharged the day after his 61st birthday.

⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates

And he revealed he was "grateful to be alive" thanks to the caring medics who helped save his life.

He told the Leicester Mercury: "When you have battled for every breath, everything just feels incredible, a real privilege.

"I feel like I’ve been reborn."

The dad-of-two had struggled with a dry cough for nine days before being admitted to the hospital.

In a tragic detail, the day Mr Murray-Philipson was admitted to hospital his own 92-year-old father had died from a non-coronavirus related death.

And he said that while he had tried to keep a "stiff upper lip" over his symptoms, his family decided to call an ambulance.

Admitted to hospital, his condition continued to deteriorate – having to spend seven days in intensive care on a ventilator.

The 61-year-old said: "I was fighting for breath, I spent five days fighting for my life. There were moments of great distress, great panic.

"There were moments I doubted I could carry on."

But amazingly, Mr Murray-Philipson managed to recover thanks to the care from staff at the Leicester Royal Infirmary on his 61st birthday.

And it was then that the touching guard of honour unfolded.

The dad was seen overcome with emotion as he waved to staff while being wheeled down the corridor to head home.


Don't miss the latest news and figures – and essential advice for you and your family.

To receive The Sun's Coronavirus newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.
To follow us on Facebook, simply 'Like' our Coronavirus page.
Get Britain's best-selling newspaper delivered to your smartphone or tablet each day – find out more.

His case comes as the UK continues to battle the virus, with more than 4,000 deaths and 47,000 cases.

Dr Chris Miller, consultant on ward 23 said: "This is an example, not only of the care Mr Murray-Philipson has received on ward 23, but to the exceptional care that occurs across all our hospitals, every day of the week.

"After a very tough week, this has really been a light at the end of the tunnel.”

Andrew Furlong, medical director at Leicester’s hospitals, added: "We are discharging patients on a daily basis who have recovered from Covid-19.

"Our staff are providing amazing care and it’s a joy when we’re able to see patients well enough to leave our hospitals."

Brits up and down the country have previously applauded NHS workers in a groundswell of support for medics at the frontline.

Millions of people came to their front doors and onto balconies to proudly clap for those on the frontline on the past two Thursdays.

And medics have begged Brits to listen to the health warnings as they face the brutal reality of the disease.

One exasperated ICU nurse posted a tearful request to urge all Brits to stay at home and support the NHS as the coronavirus pandemic brings staff to their knees.

Shirley Watts, an operating theatre nurse at Basildon University Hospital in Essex, said she wanted people "to see the reality of what's going on" describing the situation as "desperate" and short staffed.

Source: Read Full Article