First pic of dad, 39, who died after having 'throat slit' in 'row over cigarette' outside London newsagents

Dennis Anderson, 39, was pronounced dead at the scene outside an off-licence in East Dulwich, London, in the early hours of Sunday morning.

He was fatally slashed across the neck with a six inch blade, according to one witness.

Police were called to the affluent south London suburb in the early hours of Sunday following reports of a man being stabbed at around 3am.

A shop worker said Mr Anderson had been asked for a 'free cigarette' before the barbaric attack.

The dad-of-one was described as a 'doting father' by friends, who said he was on his way home from a birthday party when he was killed.

He loved his daughter. He was a family man and very popular

Luke Roche, 29, from Dulwich said: "Dennis had been at a friend’s birthday party last night and must have been coming home, but I don’t know what happened.

"He loved his daughter. He was a family man and very popular. No one had a bad word to say about him. I honestly can’t think of anyone he had a fight with. He just wasn’t part of that life."

Another friend, who asked not to be named, added: "He didn’t have a bad bone in his body.

"He doted on his daughter and was very loving."


Muhammad Khan, the shop's assistant manager, said his cousin was working when an argument erupted inside the store.

Mr Khan said the whole incident lasted around 20 seconds and, judging from CCTV footage which has since been handed to police, the blade was around six inches long.

He said: “They had an argument about cigarettes. My cousin was here, he was manager."

Mr Khan added: “The guy who had the knife came in about five or six minutes after the man who got stabbed.

“The guy with the knife asked the other for free cigarettes, like as a favour or something. I don’t know whether he knew him.

The guy with the knife asked the other for free cigarettes

“They had an argument and he took out a knife. Everyone was trying to stop him.

“A member of staff behind the counter and other customers tried to stop him too.

“The guy that was stabbed was bald and quite tall. They were both in their 30s or 40s.”

He said he had never seen the man with the knife before.

The assistant manager said the area was “very quiet” and they never had any trouble with customers.

He added: “We are always open late, but this is the first time.

“We have had no trouble around here – it’s very nice, all educated and wealthy people living around here.”

The Met Police are investigating but no arrests have been made.


Source: Read Full Article