Boris Johnson 'shocked' by Sarah Everard case and will 'work fast' as Priti Patel vows to 'protect women'
BORIS Johnson said today he was "shocked and deeply saddened" at the Sarah Everard case today – as he vowed to "work fast" to find the answers to this "horrifying crime".
The PM said his thoughts were with the 33-year-old's family and friends this morning after human remains were found last night as part of the investigation.
🔵 Follow our live blog for the latest developments on the case of missing Sarah Everard
This morning he said: "I am shocked and deeply saddened by the developments in the Sarah Everard investigation.
"Like the whole country my thoughts are with her family and friends. We must work fast to find all the answers to this horrifying crime."
And this morning Home Secretary Priti Patel also commented on the case, saying every woman should feel safe to walk home without fear of violence or harassment – and vowing to do more to help protect them.
She said: "I am deeply saddened by the developments in the Sarah Everard investigation. My heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with Sarah, her family and friends at this unbearable time.
"Many women have shared their stories and concerns online since Sarah’s disappearance last week. These are so powerful because each and every woman can relate. Every woman should feel safe to walk on our streets without fear of harassment or violence.
"At this deeply sad and tragic time as we think and pray for Sarah and her family, I will continue through my role to do all I can to protect women and girls from violence and harassment."
She vanished last week as she walked home from a friend's house in Clapham, south west London – and hasn't been seen since.
She left there around 9pm, phoned her boyfriend on the way, but is believed never to have arrived home.
PC Wayne Couzens, 48, was last night being held on suspicion of her abduction and murder.
The 48-year-old father-of-two, is a Met Police armed diplomatic protection officer stationed in Westminster.
The Metropolitan Police last night confirmed human remains have been found in Ashford, Kent but said they had not yet been identified.
It is 30 miles from the Deal home where Met Police gun cop was arrested on Tuesday night on suspicion of Sarah’s kidnap.
It comes as…
- Police were last night investigating whether Wayne Couzens used his warrant card to entice Sarah into a car
- Sarah's family said she would never have taken a lift from a stranger
- Human remains were found in woodland in Kent last night as part of the investigation
- CCTV from a London bus could have helped cops in their investigation
- Met Commissioner Cressida Dick said she was "utterly appalled" at the news
It's not believed the pair knew each other beforehand.
One line of inquiry is that he may have lured Sarah into his vehicle out of view of CCTV cameras.
His work saw him provide protection at major public events attended by senior members of the Royal Family.
Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick last night said: "The discovery was made in an area of woodland in Ashford in Kent.
"In this early stage we are not able to confirm any identity and that may take us some considerable time.
"The news today that it was Metropolitan Police officer has sent shock waves and anger through he public and through the met.
"I speak on behalf of all my colleagues when i say that we are utterly appalled at this dreadful news."
Source: Read Full Article