Baby died after his mother fell asleep during late night feeds
Four-day-old baby boy died after falling asleep next to his mother who was sleeping on a sofa after she couldn’t get upstairs to bed and ‘had no mobility support following her Caesarean birth’, inquest hears
- Emma James gave birth by Caesarean section to her son Jory in June 2020
- She suffered significant mobility issues and was forced to sleep on a sofa
- She fell asleep while feeding the four-day-old in the early hours of the morning
A four day baby boy died after falling asleep next to his mother on a sofa.
Jory James’ mum Emma was in so much pain from the Caesarian section birth that she couldn’t get upstairs to the bedrooms at her home in St Ives, Cornwall.
An inquest into Jory’s death in June 2020 heard today that Ms James, a single mother, was not offered any help after she was discharged from hospital.
The senior Cornwall coroner Andrew Cox heard it is possible Jory may have suffocated or overheated when Emma found a blanket over his head when she woke up.
An inquest into Jory’s death in June 2020 heard today that Emma James, a single mother from St Ives, Cornwall, was not offered any help after she was discharged from hospital
Ms James, from St Ives, Cornwall, pictured, claimed her son’s death was avoidable as she was offered no help with her mobility after being sent home following her Caesarean
The Truro inquest heard Ms James had slept on a sofa with Jory in a Moses basket on the floor.
But she fed him between 3am and 4am before propping up her baby next to her with cushions.
The inquest heard Ms James fell asleep and when she awoke, she found her son floppy and not breathing.
A post mortem into the infant could not establish a cause of death.
Ms James told the inquest her son’s death was avoidable as she was offered no help with mobility at home despite being in pain from the C section.
Mr Cox recorded an open conclusion.
Source: Read Full Article