ANOTHER vessel 'runs aground in the Suez canal' but is refloated

ANOTHER vessel ‘runs aground in the Suez canal’: Ship ‘is successfully refloated after route was temporarily blocked’, local reports claim – following Ever Given grounding in March

  • A casting ship became stuck 54km into the canal today, causing traffic to stop
  • But the vessel was fast refloated, avoiding a repeat of the Ever Given in March
  • The megaship got lodged in the Egyptian canal, causing a six-day rescue effort
  • It sailed out of the canal last month after its owners agreed a compensation deal 

Another vessel ran aground in the Suez Canal today briefly blocking the global shipping lane before it was refloated – nearly six months after the Ever Given was grounded for six-days in March. 

The container ship became stuck around 54km into the canal, sparking a rescue effort earlier today, the Suez Canal authority said according to local media reports. 

Four ships travelling from Port Said in the direction of Suez were delayed while rescue teams scrambled to refloat the vessel in western al-Balah branch of the canal.

Sources told the National it was ‘minor’ issue. Sky News later reported the ship, thought to be the Panamanian-flagged Coral Crystal, had been refloated and traffic resumed. It is understood to have been sailing for Port Sudan. 

It comes nearly six months after the Ever Given became wedged in the canal causing a six-day rescue operation and stopping £42billion of world trade. 

Another vessel ran aground in the Suez Canal today temporarily blocking the global shipping line nearly six months after it was blocked for six days by the Ever Given (pictured)

The Ever Given blocked the major shipping lane in Egypt for nearly a week earlier this year. Under original plans the 400m-long ship was due to arrive at the Port of Felixstowe in Suffolk in early April. Pictured: The Ever Given when it was stuck in the Suez Canal on March 28, 2021 

The Suez Canal (pictured with marine traffic today) is one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes. It was briefly blocked today when a vessel ran aground 54km into the passageway. It was later refloated and traffic resumed

The rescue operation, launched when the container ship became stuck on march 23, ended in one person’s death, sunk rescue boat and forced 48 ships to find an alternative route.  

Hundreds of ships were delayed as they waited for the canal to be unblocked and some vessels were forced to take the much longer route around the southern tip of Africa.

The Suez Canal Authority last month announced the Panama-flagged vessel had successfully sailed back through the passage into the Red Sea without any issues.  

It was heading for Rotterdam when it ploughed into the sandy bank of a single-lane stretch of the canal about 3.7 miles north of the southern entrance, near the city of Suez in March.

After leaving the canal in August after being impounded for three months while its owners organised a compensation deal with Egypt, the ship headed for China. 

The 1,312-foot ship, which carries cargo between Asia and Europe, was held in Ismalia for more than three months amid a financial dispute over compensation.

After an agreement was met between the ship’s Japanese owner, Shoei Kisen Kaisha Ltd, and canal authorities it was freed to continue its voyage in July. While the terms of the agreement weren’t released, Egypt settled on a £397million demand.  

Source: Read Full Article