Jamal Edwards' cause of death revealed as Loose Women star mum Brenda pays emotional tribute to son, 31 | The Sun
MUSIC entrepreneur Jamal Edwards died from a cardiac arrest after a late night cocaine and booze session, an inquest heard today.
Three small bags containing remnants of white powder were found on the 31-year-old son of Loose Women panellist Brenda Edwards after he collapsed in February.
Assistant West London Coroner Ivor Collett today ruled that Mr Edwards died after a cardiac arrest brought on by taking cocaine and drinking.
His heartbroken mum, Brenda, described him as "a beautiful and selfless person" in a statement read to the inquest.
The founder of R&B/Hip-Hop platform SB.TV had returned to his home in Acton, West London, after 4am following his DJ set in Islington, North London.
He then sat up drinking with a pal, Nick Hopper, who was living in an annex of the house.
READ MORE ON JAMAL EDWARDS
Jessie J shares grief over Jamal Edwards, says his death ‘doesn’t feel real’
GMB’s Sean Fletcher pays tribute to Jamal Edwards
After a while Mr Edwards became erratic and paranoid and started throwing objects around the room before collapsing, the inquest was told.
Despite the best efforts of Mr Hopper and then his uncle, Rodney Artman, as well as paramedics, Mr Edwards did not wake up.
He was declared dead at 10.36am on Sunday, February 20.
Mr Hopper said in a statement read to the inquest by the coroner: "When he came in he appeared to be his normal self and it appeared that he had just been out.
Most read in Showbiz
HELD BY BOYS IN BLUE
Lee Ryan arrested after 'going berserk & being abusive on plane'
HELD BY BOYS IN BLUE
Tom Cruise told me he liked my dog… then he jumped off a cliff
Katie Price puts on brave face with fiance Carl after telling friends they'd SPLIT
Amanda Holden looks incredible as she strips to blue bikini for a dip in the pool
"We began to chat, smoke some weed and drink. He told me he was under a lot of pressure.
"There were periods of talking followed by silences.
"Over time Jamal became quite paranoid and was saying I had things in my hands when I didn't.
"Anytime I moved he began panicking. I told him to calm down, but he became increasingly irate.
"He was grabbing things, throwing them around the room. He was panicking and sweating, I spent ages trying to get him to open the door."
Mr Hopper said that he kept trying to open a window, but Mr Edwards wouldn't let him and he eventually collapsed unconscious by the bathroom door.
After 9.30am Mr Edwards's uncle arrived and he said he performed CPR for about 10 minutes until paramedics arrived and took over, but they were unable to resuscitate them.
The inquest heard that police treated the death as non-suspicious.
Toxicology tests found cocaine and alcohol in his system, but no cannabis.
There was also MDMA in Mr Edwards' urine but not blood, indicating that he had taken the drug recently – but not on the night of his death.
In a statement, Met Police Detective Sergeant Luke Taylor said: "There were no signs of trauma to either party.
"Three small snap bags were found in his pocket with remnants of a white powder and bloody tissues, associated with the taking of Class A drugs.
"He suffered a cardiac episode from taking recreational drugs and alcohol."
Mr Edwards's GP confirmed that while he had traits of sickle cell disease, he was not on any regular medication.
Summing up at West London Coroner's Court, Mr Collett said: "At around 4.30am he arrived at home and joined his close friend.
"They had some drinks and had arranged to smoke cannabis. Although he appeared normal at first his behaviour changed and he exhibited signs of anxiety, paranoia and irritation.
"The insinuation is that Jamal had taken cocaine in sufficient quantity to cause an adverse reaction brought about by cocaine toxicity. This then caused cardiac arrhythmia which resulted in his death."
'BEAUTIFUL AND SELFLESS'
Mr Edwards was awarded an MBE in 2014 for his services to music and he was an ambassador for the Prince's Trust.
In a statement read to the hearing, Brenda Edwards said: "Jamal was a beautiful and selfless person.
"Since growing up with his family in Acton he made it his personal mission to open doors for others to walk through.
"To help people through life, to love and to laugh. And most importantly, to just make people happy."
She added: "Jamal helped so many, working tirelessly to give a platform to people.
Read More on The Sun
Tesco sets off fuel pump war after slashing petrol by 6.5p after Asda cut prices
We spent £9K renovating our fence – our neighbours then turned it 180 degrees
"His charitable work stretched near and far, from working at homeless shelters to giving back to his roots in St Vincent and the Grenadines.
"We are so proud of everything Jamal achieved over the course of his 31 years and how he impacted others' lives. We miss him so much."
Source: Read Full Article