How is Kate Garraway's husband Derek Draper doing? | The Sun
DEREK Draper was struck down by Covid-19 in early 2020.
Ever since then the author and former psychotherapist – who is married to broadcaster Kate Garraway – has been enduring an on-going health battle.
What is the latest on Kate Garraway's husband Derek Draper?
Brave Kate has been keeping the public updated on her husband's condition ever since he was first diagnosed with Covid
Derek was left in a critical condition after he caught the virus in early 2020 and spent 13 months in hospital.
He has since been battling a variety of health problems, after the virus caused brain inflammation, kidney failure, and damage to his liver and pancreas.
After returning home from hospital in 2021, Derek has had to return to hospital several times but has made great strides in his fight to regain in his health.
In June 2023 he watched on as his Good Morning Britain star wife was awarded an MBE.
He attended the ceremony at Windsor Castle on June 28, where Kate was given the award by Prince William for her services to broadcasting, journalism and charity.
Just days after Kate received her MBE, she revealed that Derek was rushed to hospital after the happy occasion.
Writing a lengthy statement on Instagram, Garraway revealed how her husband ended up back in hospital – and would have return to the ward again as his "struggle continues".
Most read in Celebrity
BACCY AT IT
Kate Moss spotted smoking again – as she ditches vapes to puff on a cigarette
‘WE SUPPORT VICTIMS’
Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis apologise for backing rapist co-star
Chris Evans, 42, marries Alba Baptista, 26, after one year of dating
Inside Calvin Harris & Vick Hope’s Glasto-themed wedding with showbiz pals
Reflecting on her MBE, Kate told fans: "Well what a week, that started with Derek in hospital and ended with Derek in hospital, but with this extraordinary day in the middle.
"I am so incredibly moved and humbled by the whole experience. So many of you have sent so many lovely messages, including the lady who stopped her car a few minutes ago outside our house to say 'I know what you're going through, and I know how much that moment meant and I am a nurse.'
"It was so wonderful to see Derek's determination to be there. So kind of the Prince of Wales, to make it special for him and to recognise the work of Jake our incredible carer, who represents all those who make Derek's daily life possible.
"And of course my long-suffering mum and dad.
"It was also so humbling to meet all the others, much more deserving than myself, who were there to receive their honours.
"The Prince of Wales managed to make every single one of them feel as special as they are.
"Tomorrow Derek is back in hospital and of course the daily struggles go on – but the fact that he was able to be part of Wednesday is to be treasured and I can't thank everyone in the NHS and all around him who love him for making it possible."
The couple's outing to Windsor Castle came a few weeks after Kate, who shares daughter Darcey and son Billy with Derek, revealed that her husband is now able to communicate by whispering.
Kate has documented Derek's recovery in two documentaries, titled Caring For Derek and Finding Derek, and she has confirmed she is working on an untitled third documentary.
The presenter is also releasing a second book, The Strength of Love, in late 2023.
Kate previously told how the father to her children is "trapped" in his body and has travelled twice to Mexico to seek specialist help.
She told The Sun that the gruelling trip required "extraordinary effort" and but she hopes he will return for another round of treatment.
Timeline of Derek Draper's coronavirus battle
- March 30: Derek rushed to hospital after testing positive for coronavirus.
- Mid April: Derek was admitted to intensive care four days later. He entered a coma as his condition deteriorated.
- May 1: Kate shared that Derek is still unresponsive.
- May 28: The GMB presenter said that Derek is still in a coma and under the care of the NHS but that she is hopeful.
- May 31: Kate revealed she has been forced to find new ways to keep her kids strong as Derek remains critical.
- June 2: Kate is urged to "have hope" as her fans send her uplifting stories.
- June 5: Kate made an emotional appearance on GMB to tell viewers that her husband is "very very sick" but "Covid free", and that they are not sure if "he will recover".
- June 6: Kate told The Sun that Derek may be locked in a coma forever after coronavirus "attacked everything".
- June 7: Kate also revealed to The Sun that her son, Billy, sleeps beside his dad's empty bed while he is in a coronavirus coma.
- June 14: Piers Morgan writes in his Daily Mail column that Kate doesn't know if Derek will ever come home.
- July 5: Kate revealed that Derek has woken from the coma and is now opening his eyes.
- July 8: Kate goes on GMB to talk about Derek being out of coma but how it is "a miracle he is still alive".
- July 13: Kate returns to GMB.
- July 14: Kate reveals she will be visiting Derek in hospital.
- July 19: Kate revealed her heartache at Derek missing their son's birthday.
- July 21: Kate revealed her husband heard her voice when nurses put GMB on for him. She also revealed that she would be visiting him for a second time.
- July 22: Kate's Global radio colleague Roman Kemp revealed that her kids are going through a "tough time".
- July 27: On GMB, Kate reveals she is "at her limit" after a car tyre blowout on the motorway. The terrifying blowout occurred when Kate was driving back to the hospital to visit Derek after taking their children on a trip to Kent.
- July 28: Kate reveals Derek is stable but hasn't improved, but that she visited him in hospital a day earlier despite her car blowout.
- July 29: Kate's Good Morning Britain colleague Alex Beresford said he has been "in awe" of her resilience.
- August 3: Kate revealed Jeremy Kyle helped take her kids Billy and Darcey to stay with ill dad Derek’s parents.
- August 4: Kate revealed how she wanted to donate her own blood to save Derek.
- August 10: Kate revealed how she desperately wants Derek to wake up.
- August 11: Kate said she will donate "liquid gold" plasma although it's too late for it to have an affect on Derek as he is no longer fighting coronavirus.
- August 13: Kate wishes husband Derek "good morning" as she tells GMB viewers he’ll be watching in hospital.
- August 17: Kate missed her slot on Good Morning Britain – though she was scheduled to have a day off.
- August 19: Kate returns to GMB after taking a few days off. – she revealed she fought back tears at a "challenging" day being separated from Derek on his 53rd birthday.
- August 20: Kate reveals she has received "abuse" about "laughing and joking" on Good Morning Britain while Derek remains in intensive care.
- September 10: Kate revealed it's a "tough day" as it's their 15th Wedding Anniversary and she cannot visit Derek.
- September 11: Kate revealed Derek was still unable to speak but she would be visiting him in hospital to celebrate their 15th wedding anniversary.
- September 25: Kate reveals it had been a "tough week" for Derek.
- September 28: Kate's ITV breakfast colleague Lorraine Kelly rips into Covid protesters saying they need to see Kate's "hell’.
- September 29: It was revealed how Derek's six-month Covid battle is now longest in the UK.
- October 1: Kate said she is tempted to show Covid rule-breakers a picture of Derek and warned "you don’t want this in your life’".
- October 30: Derek uttered his first word – "pain" after 214 days in hospital.
- November 20: Kate says she feels "physically sick" about Christmas alone without Derek.
- December 7: Kate reflected on her "missed moments" of 2020 as husband continues to battle coronavirus in hospital
- December 17: Kate fights back tears as she thanks the nurses who ‘saved husband Derek’s life’ for the first time.
- January 7, 2021: Kate reveals her kids saw sick husband Derek for the first time since March 2020 over Christmas, but lockdown means she's banned from seeing him again.
- February 11, 2021: Kate returns to GMB and reveals her heartache after being unable to see Derek since Christmas and says there’s "no end in sight".
- February 26, 2021: Dr Hilary reveals he has been supporting Kate.
- March 20, 2021: Kate said her seriously-ill husband Derek's brain is "no longer his friend".
- March 23. 2021: Kate's Finding Derek documentary airs and reveals the heartbreaking moment her husband woke up from his coma.
- April 8, 2021: Derek set to return home where he will continue to receive round-the-clock care.
- April 9, 2021: Derek is finally back in his family home in North London after over a year in hospital.
- September 9, 2021: Kate was left in tears as she accepted an NTA gong for her documentary about Derek.
- October 9, 2021: Kate claimed Derek is still sleeping 20 hours a day and is unable to communicate as he did before contracting Covid.
- October 21, 2021: Kate revealed Prince Charles is the royal who extended a helping hand amid Derek's Covid battle during the Prince's Trust Awards at St James' Palace in London.
Read More on The Sun
Mum spends benefits on designer school shoes for kid only for them to be banned
Kate Garraway reveals heartbreaking reason she kept hospital dash secret
- January 4, 2022: Kate says Derek is phenomenally fatigued and very weak, and they don’t know what the New Year will bring.
- February 21, 2022: It was revealed Derek could die within three days if left alone.
- February 22, 2022: Kate said she slept for the first time in TWO years after moving in with former GMTV co-star
- July 6, 2022: Kate revealed at the Tric Awards that Derek was back in hospital.
- July 20, 2022: Kate pulled out of GMB and Smooth FM to stay by Derek's side in hospital as his health took a turn.
- August 1, 2022: Kate returned to GMB where she revealed Derek had rushed into hospital after contracting sepsis.
- June 8, 2023: Kate appears on Loose Women and says Derek can communicate by whispering.
- June 28, 2023: Derek watches on as Kate is awarded her MBE by Prince William.
- July 2, 2023: Kate reveals that Derek ended up in hospital shortly after her MBE ceremony.
- September 11, 2023: Kate reveals heartbreaking reason she kept terrifying hospital dash secret amid Derek's health battle.
Source: Read Full Article