One player and three members of touring party to quarantine in Johannesburg until next week
THE LIONS got their game on against the Sharks – but FOUR of their squad will have to isolate in Johannesburg when the rest of the touring party fly to Cape Town on Sunday.
Just as SunSport told you, one staff member who tested positive will have to remain in Joburg until after Sunday, July 18.
And the player will not be allowed to meet up with his teammates until after Thursday, July 15 – missing two games.
The same for the other three members of staff.
Boss Warren Gatland said: “It’s obviously been a slightly turbulent week, but we remain determined to keep rolling with the punches.
“In many ways, the challenges we’ve faced this week have strengthened our resolve to do everything we can to overcome the challenges created by covid.
“The feeling in the camp on Wednesday night was just to give it a crack.
"I was really proud by how everyone reacted, particularly the match day squad who would have never prepared for a game like that before.
“Saturday is another opportunity to see how the boys go and for us as coaches to try out a few more combinations ahead of the Test series."
England hooker Jamie George will skipper the Lions in their third tour match in South Africa against the Sharks.
Gatland said: “I have long been an admirer of Jamie’s leadership skills, so I am delighted to name him skipper.
“We want to pass on thanks to the Sharks boys for fronting up and going again on Saturday.
"That’s the spirit of rugby, and a great chance for them to have another shot at us.”
CELL C SHARKS v THE BRITISH & IRISH LIONS
Saturday 10 July 2021
Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
Kick-off: 5pm (BST)
- Liam Williams (Scarlets, Wales) #833
- Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, England) #816
- Elliot Daly (Saracens, England) #822
- Chris Harris (Gloucester Rugby, Scotland) #844
- Duhan van der Merwe (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #841
- Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints, Wales) #821
- Gareth Davies (Scarlets, Wales) #850
- Rory Sutherland (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #840
- Jamie George – captain (Saracens, England) #819
- Tadhg Furlong (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #818
- Maro Itoje (Saracens, England) #825
- Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, England) #845
- Tadhg Beirne (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #838
- Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby, Scotland) #847
- Jack Conan (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #839
- Ken Owens (Scarlets, Wales) #829
- Wyn Jones (Scarlets, Wales) #842
- Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, England) #814
- Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, England) #826
- Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, England) #849
- Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, England) #853
- Conor Murray (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #790
- Finn Russell (Racing 92, Scotland) #835
Source: Read Full Article