KSI vs. Logan Paul 2 has only been official for 1 day, and the boxing media is already sick of it
- The KSI vs. Logan Paul rematch has been official for one day and boxing media is already sick of it.
- The two YouTubers fought once before in an unlicensed sub-level amateur bout in England.
- But now they will turn professional, be supported by a world championship boxing card, and fight again at the Staples Center in Los Angeles later this year.
- The event is backed by renowned fight promoter Eddie Hearn and will be broadcast on DAZN, the home of elite fighters like “Canelo” Alvarez and Anthony Joshua.
- One prominent boxing presenter said both YouTubers “would lose to 16-year-old amateur boxers.” Another reporter said it feeds into the “attention economy.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The KSI vs. Logan Paul rematch has only been official for one day, and the boxing media is already sick of it.
The two YouTube personalities contested an unlicensed sub-amateur fight at the Manchester Arena in England last year, which resulted in a six-round majority draw.
At the Staples Center on November 9, they will fight once again, but this time in a professional setting in an event promoted by Matchroom Sport group managing director Eddie Hearn. The fight will also be broadcast on DAZN, the home of marquee fighters like the middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and former heavyweight ruler Anthony Joshua.
As it is now a legitimate fight, it has caught the attention of the fight game’s reporters — and they are not happy.
“I had no trouble pushing Paul v KSI when it was a prank, mad, fun fight … I loved that it did great numbers,” the talkSPORT, Independent, and BT Sport boxing expertSteve “Big Daddy” Bunce said on Twitter.
“It’s trickier now that they are in my business — a business of honorable and hardened professional boxers. There should be no shortcuts. Not for boxers, promoters, or managers.”
He later said both YouTubers “would lose to 16-year-old amateur boxers.”
The Sky Sports reporter Ed Draper replied to Bunce to say that the event feeds into the “attention economy” but added that he respects them regardless.
ESPN journalist Steve Kim channeled the former long-time commentator for HBO Sports, saying boxing cannot be killed nor saved.
“When I was asked to be involved in the rematch it got me excited but I had some requests to help integrate the two audiences,” Hearn said in a press release seen by Business Insider.
“I requested that both fighters turn professional and undergo the same medicals that any other fighter would. I asked that the fighters lose the headguards and use 10-ounce gloves, if we are going to do this then let’s do it properly.
“Both men obliged and now they prepare for war on November 9. This event will be huge, a world championship card beneath an event that will create a hype for boxing not seen in the US for a long time.
“Staples Center will be sold out and a new audience will join our great sport and tune in live on DAZN.”
Source: Read Full Article