8am Arsenal news LIVE: Gunners wrap up second signing, Dembele to replace Lacazette, Coutinho £10m loan transfer LATEST – The Sun

ARSENAL know the exact date they will return to Premier League action, with a trip up the M6 to champions Man City scheduled for June 17.

And on the transfer front, the Gunners are reportedly hoping to replace Atletico Madrid target Alexandre Lacazette with Lyon's Moussa Dembele.

Mikel Arteta looks to have landed his second signing of the summer already, with teenage winger George Lewis due to join William Saliba at the Emirates.

Get the latest news, gossip and updates from the Emirates here…

  • ICYMI – LEWIS SIGNING DONE

    Arsenal last night reportedly completed the signing of 19-year-old winger George Lewis, who was a free agent.

    Gunners boss Mikel Arteta likely to have limited funds to overhaul his squad ahead of next season due to the financial implication of the coronavirus pandemic.

    But Lewis' signing is Arsenal's second deal with William Saliba due to join his new team-mates at some point this summer.

    Saliba cannot play for Arsenal until the 2020/21 campaign but with French football finishing early, he is set to cross the channel soon.

  • GOOD MORNING, ARSENAL FANS

    Two Ligue 1 strikers top the gossip for Gooners.

    Arsenal are “locked in talks” with Lyon striker Mousa Dembele’s representatives, L’Equipe say.

    And Lille's exciting Nigeria frontman Victor Osimhen has reportedly sparked a Premier League transfer fight between the Gunners, Spurs and Newcastle.

    But the 21-year-old's agent has suggested only Napoli have so far made a firm move.

    The arrival of either goal-getter would, of course, ease the strain of potentially losing club skipper Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

    But speculation over the Arsenal skipper seems to have eased up.

    The Gunners are believed to have made 19-year-old winger George Lewis their first summer signing – from Norwegian side  Fram Larvik.

    He impressed on trial in March and will initially slot into the Under-23 side next season.

    But Arsenal target Adil Aouchiche, 17, is said to have instead undergone a medical with Saint-Etienne, the midfielder having declined to sign a pro deal with his current club PSG.

  • AOUCH! THAT'S GOTTA HURT

    Arsenal target Adil Aouchiche has undergone a medical at Saint-Etienne, reports say.

    Mikel Artetahas been linked with the PSG midfielder, 17, as he shapes to reshape the Gunners squad in his own image.

    But having not signed a pro deal with PSG, Aouchiche seems poised to join their Ligue 1 rivals.

  • JOSE FEARS INJURIES

    Jose Mourinho fears Project Restart will bring pre-season problems to June.

    The Premier League campaign, suspended since March 13, will resume on June 17.

    Tottenham boss Mourinho cannot wait for top-flight football to return but said: “We have to be ready for problems now because this is pre-season, and pre-season brings problems.

    “The players have had a long time without playing, without even training on the pitch, without competing, so now the players are back, I can’t imagine it’s going to be different for us.

    “We have to be very careful with the players’ welfare, and this pre-season is probably more difficult than other pre-seasons, because they come from a long period without training.

    “We don’t know how we’re going to arrive for the first match.”

    Tottenham will restart the season with a ‘home’ clash against Manchester United.

  • PROJECT RESTART 'NOT PERFECT'

    SunSport columnist Karren Brady says clubs have to accept Project Restart “won't be perfect” if they want the season finished.

    The West ham vice-chairman says: “It’s a delicate balance. 

    “But if we want to finish this season, we are all going to have to accept a restart won’t be perfect.

    “There are obvious and genuine concerns about what happens to your match results if your club has a number of players testing positive for coronavirus, or in self-isolation.

    And as a result you simply cannot field your usual or strongest starting XI. Or what if other teams play a weakened first XI by choice when they have nothing to play for, or they want to give their first-team players a longer break.

    “Or they simply want to protect players from catching the virus, and that ends up skewing results? Or what if your manager tests positive, as Arsenal’s did back in March?”

  • SANCHEZ STAYS

    Inter Milan have confirmed Alexis Sanchez will stay until the end of the extended season to try and earn himself a permanent deal.

    The Manchester United and ex-Arsenal strikerhas been on loan with the Serie A giants since last summer and was due to return to Old Trafford next month.

    Italian football was delayed by coronavirus which could have seen the Chilean leave the San Siro before the campaign was completed.

    But Inter's sporting director Piero Ausillo confirmed the ex-Arsenal man will be given a chance to prove his worth as the club will extend his deal to ensure he can play out the season.

    Serie A is set to return behind closed doors on June 20, according to Italy's sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora.

  • DEM-IRATES FLY-BUY

    Arsenal are “locked in talks” with Mousa Dembele’s representatives, according to L’Equipe.

    The Gunners have been watching the Lyon striker for a number of months after a dip in form from Alexandre Lacazette.

    Arsene Wenger signed Lacazette from the same club back in 2017, but the French forward has been pushing for a move to Atletico Madrid.

    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has also been linked with a move away from North London.

    A sale of either player would allow the club to draft in Dembele as a replacement, after his 22 goals in 42 games in France this season.

  • MAYOR'S FAN FEARS

    London Mayor Sadiq Khan admits he is worried about fans turning up outside games and spreading Covid-19 when the Premier League restarts.

    He told LBC Radio: “ Even though I'm a south Londoner, I support Liverpool and that's why a small part of my brain is keen for us to return.

    “But actually the bigger part of my brain is saying safety is what matters.

    “I am concerned about any action that could inadvertently lead to the virus spreading.

    “I know, human nature as it is, fans will turn up to see the coach arriving, to listen to the atmosphere – the players inside the stadium even though they're not allowed in, to see the coach leaving, to buy t-shirts and scarves. So police and councils need to enforce the rules.

    “The overwhelming measures to social distancing are still there.

    “We can't have fans congregating around the stadiums… It's really important clubs work with police and others to make sure we get this right.”

  • GUNNERS IN VICTOR LINK

    Arsenal, Spurs and Newcastle have been linked to Lille striker Victor Osimhen.

    And the 21-year-old's agent predicts the 21-year-old with leave this summer – with Napoli showing the firmest interest so far.

  • LEWIS GUNNER

    Arsenal have reportedly completed their first signing of the summer, capturing teenage winger George Lewis.

    The Gunners are hoping to reshape their squad on a tight budget in the coming months, with new boss Mikel Arteta seeking to restore attractive, winning football in North London.

    And it appears that 19-year-old Lewis has kick-started the summer of arrivals.

    According to Gunners youth blogger Jeorge Bird, the former Fram Larvik youngster has earned a move to Emirates Stadium after impressing during a trial back in March.

    Lewis will link up with the club's Under-23 side next season.

    Born in Rwanda, a country who also happen to sponsor Arsenal's shirt sleeves, Lewis is also eligible to represent Norway at international level.

    The Gunners appear to have held an interest for a while, with the player's agent having posted on Instagram from the Emirates in early March.

  • BY GEORGE

    Arsenal have made their first signing of the summer, snapping up teenage winger George Lewis.

    The 19-year-old previously played for Norwegian side Fram Larvik before being snapped up by the Gunners after a successful trial.

    Born in Rwanda, a country which also happens to sponsor Arsenal's shirt, Lewis is eligible to play international football for either the country of his birth or Norway.

  • LINGARD MISSED TARGETS

    Manchester United and England midfielder Jesse Lingard, who has been linked with Arsenal, claims his form suffered last season because he failed to set personal goals.

    He said: “Trophies are the main thing and individual targets like goals and assists.

    “Last season, for some reason, I didn’t set any targets. This season I’m going to have targets, I’m going to have goals that I need to hit, individually and as a team as well.

    “I wanted to start fresh and come back with the right mindset and right attitude and that’s what I’ve done.”

  • HOW ARSENAL COULD LINE-UP FOR PREM RETURN

    Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta can now start ponderinghis line-up when Premier League football resumes on June 17 with a trip to his old club Manchester City.

    Arteta has vastly improved, if not quite transformed the Gunners since taking over last December after being Etihad No2 to Pep Guardiola

    Calum Chambers is training after surgery on knee ligament damage initially expected to keep him out until September.

    It remains unlikely that he will play much this season however, but the versatile defender confirmed recently that his operation “went well”.

    January loan signing Cedric Soares has joined his new teammates for the resumption of training as he pushes for a first appearance for the club.

    In midfield, a question mark hangs over Lucas Torreira's availability also after the Uruguayan suffered an ankle injury in March.

  • SCOUTS DISHONOUR

    Arsenal are being forced to release ten scouts in order to balance the books, according to reports.

    Scouts who have unearthed talents like Bukayo Saka and Reiss Nelson are going to have to be released, according to the Mail.

    According to reports, the staff members were told via email that their contracts would not be renewed at the end of June.

    Many other staff members are fearful for their jobs.

  • MAKING A STAND

    The Premier League have confirmed they WILL use neutral venues on police advice, as we reported earlier.

    A statement reads: “The Premier League’s ambition is to complete all of our remaining fixtures this season home and away, where possible.

    “We are working with our clubs to ensure all risks are assessed and minimised, while co-operating with the police at a local and national level.

    “Discussions with the National Police Chiefs’ Council and UK Football Policing Unit have been positive and are continuing.

    “We are prepared for all outcomes and have a neutral venue contingency.”

  • CHEER FOR FANS

    Premier League chief exec Richard Masters is positive that there will be a return of fans to grounds in ‘phases’.

    He said: “No one knows when matches will move away from the behind-closed-doors model and it is right to have contingency plans in place.

    “But there is optimism at the Premier League and at clubs that we will see fans back in the stadiums next season and it may happen on a phased basis.

    “Hopefully it will be a huge morale boost and that is what we've been working towards.

    “We've got some incredible fans in this country and we all know the Premier League as we know and love it won't be fully back until we have fans back through the turnstiles.

    “Getting it back on our TV screens for people to enjoy will hopefully give the whole country a boost.”

  • PETR THE GREAT

    Petr Cech has revealed he still feels the agony of defeat in last year's Europa League final… despite now working for the victors.

    Chelsea thumped the Gunners 4-1 in Baku, in what turned out to be Maurizio Sarri's first trophy as a coach.

    Days after the match, Cech left Arsenal for his former club, where he is now a technical director.

  • SACRE BLEU

    PSG are to battle with Arsenal and Tottenham over Chelsea winger Willian, according to reports in France.

    The Brazilian is set to become one of the summer market's hottest properties if he cannot agree to a new deal at Stamford Bridge.

    With Chelsea deemed unlikely to offer the 31-year-old his desired three-year deal, he will become a free agent at the end of the season.

    Le10Sport report on PSG holding plenty of interest in offering Willian a chance to play for the Ligue 1 champions.

    Arsenal, Barcelona and Spurs are also keeping an eye on his situation but Real Madrid are said to have turned down a chance to put in a bid.

    Ok Diario detail how Zinedine Zidane felt the midfielder was too old to invest in with his right-wing position also not a priority at the Bernabeu.

  • KHAN'T RUSH IT

    London Mayor Sadiq Khan is worried about the Premier League restarting – even though he is a Liverpool fan.

    He fears it could lead to another rise in Covid-19 cases.

    He said: “I am concerned about any action that could inadvertently lead to the virus spreading.

    “Let me make a confession. Even though I'm a South Londoner, I support Liverpool and that's why a small part of my brain is keen for us to return.

    “But actually the bigger part of my brain is saying safety is what matters.

    “All of us need cheering up and there's nothing more joyous for sports fans than watching sport on TV, even without the crowds – but we need to make sure we don't inadvertently give an opportunity to the virus to spread.”

  • ‘HEN PECKED

    Hotshot Lille striker Victor Osimhen, 21, is among the strikers being linked with Newcastle as well as Arsenal – according to the player’s agent.

    He said: “I can confidently tell you that the only club that wants Victor 100 per cent right now is Napoli.

    “But the final decision on whether he wants to join them lies with him.

    “Also, Newcastle are in the race just like Tottenham.

    “But it’s just interest alone. No real sign of commitment from them.

    “I think with the pressure from different clubs in Europe, I doubt if he will stay with Lille in the coming season.”

  • DEFENSIVE SAL-VATION

    William Saliba can hit the ground running and cure Arsenal's defensive woes, according to Claude Puel.

    The French coach has overseen Saliba's loan spell at Saint-Etienne since taking charge of the Ligue 1 side in November.

    With 17 appearances under his belt in an injury-hit campaign that ended prematurely due to the coronavirus pandemic, the centre-back is now heading to North London for a transfer completed last summer.

    And Puel believes the 19-year-old has the mentality to succeed at Arsenal, both on and off the pitch.

    The former Leicester manager told The Athletic: “He is ready.

    “He is a fantastic player. He is a young player but with a lot of maturity in his play.

    “Also, in his life. He is a player with a good feeling and spirit.”

  • CUP LATEST

    The FA Cup semi-finals will take place over the weekend of 18-19 July, according to the FA.

    The schedule for the Emirates FA Cup quarter-finals, which was originally drawn on March 4, are due to take place on June 27 and 28:

    • Leicester City v Chelsea
    • Newcastle United v Manchester City
    • Sheffield United v Arsenal
    • Norwich City v Manchester United

    NEUTRAL STANCE

    Six Premier League games will be played at neutral venues due to a request from the police.

    Liverpool's clash against Everton – which could see Jurgen Klopp's side secure the title – is one of the matches included.

    Deputy Chief Constable Mark Roberts said: “Our discussions with the Premier League throughout this process have been positive, with a shared focus on the priority of public health.

    “As such we have reached a consensus that balances the needs of football, while also minimising the demand on policing.

    “The majority of remaining matches will be played, at home and away as scheduled, with a small number of fixtures played at neutral venues.”

    DESIGNS FOR DEM

    Arsenal are “locked in talks” with Mousa Dembele’s representatives, according to L’Equipe.

    The Gunners have been watching the Lyon striker for a number of months after a dip in form from Alexandre Lacazette.

    Arsene Wenger signed Lacazette from the same club back in 2017, but the French forward has been pushing for a move to Atletico Madrid.

    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has also been linked with a move away from North London.

    A sale of either player would allow the club to draft in Dembele as a replacement, after his 22 goals in 42 games in France this season.

    Source: Read Full Article