Marks and Spencer to close more stores before Christmas – full list of closures
M&S revealed at the beginning of the year its plans to reduce its “full line” stores, including clothing and home branches, from 247 to 180.
But it’s not all bad news for shoppers, as the retailer announced it will be opening a total of 104 Simply Food branches in the next five years, increasing its food shops from 316 to 420.
A brand new Marks and Spencer store in Leeds White Rose opened on May 25, and the new Liverpool ONE site, located in the city centre, opened on August 15.
M&S stores closing before the end of the year:
- Eagles Meadow, Wrexham – set to close before Christmas
Although Marks and Spencer hasn’t confirmed the exact date the Wrexham shop will shut down, workers at Eagles Meadow shopping centre told Express.co.uk the store may be permanently closing its doors around Christmas time. M&S, however, recently revealed plans to open a new M&S Foodhall in Wrexham soon.
READ MORE: Boots confirms more store closures across the UK – affected locations
M&S stores that closed in 2023:
- East Kilbride Shopping Centre – closed February 25
- Fenchurch Street, London – closed March 31
- Deansgate, Bolton – closed in April
- Newport Road, Cardiff – closed in April
- Meadowbank retail park, Edinburgh – closed April 1
- Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough – set to close April 15
- Carlton Street, Castleford – set to close April 22
A M&S spokesperson told Express.co.uk that despite the recent closures, the company has opened new and “better stores across the UK” as part of a new £480million project.
They explained: “Our store rotation and investment programme is about making sure we have the right stores, in the right place, with the right space.
“Whilst our store rotation programme involves closing some stores, it also means relocating and opening new stores in locations across the country.
“In this coming year alone, we are opening 20 new stores across the UK, including brand new M&S stores in Leeds, Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester, Thurrock and Purley, and new M&S Foodhalls in locations such as Stockport, Wrexham, Barnsley and Largs.”
Express.co.uk has contacted M&S for comment on the upcoming closures
- Advert-free experience without interruptions.
- Rocket-fast speedy loading pages.
- Exclusive & Unlimited access to all our content.
Source: Read Full Article