Little-known benefits rule means thousands could be eligible for free driving lessons – check if you're one of them | The Sun
THOUSANDS on benefits can get free driving lessons through a little-known scheme.
The Motability charity offers grants to disabled people through the Driving Lessons Grant Programme.
Under it, those on a provisional licence can get help paying for lessons to get a full licence.
And those with a full licence can get help towards the cost of familiarisation lessons.
You might need these if your vehicle has recently been adapted to suit your specific needs. For example, if you have had a dual brake installed in your car.
You can get up to 40 hours worth of lessons through the programme and a free study pack to help you pass your theory test.
Read more in Benefits
Little-known TV licence rule means 850,000 households could save £159 a year
I’m £10k better off after claiming little-known benefit – are you eligible?
It's worth noting you still have to pay for your own theory and practical tests.
You have to be receiving certain benefits to qualify for the Driving Lessons Grant Programme, including one of the following:
- Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of Child Disability Payment
- Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of the Adult Disability Payment (ADP)
- War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
You could also get a grant if you receive one of the following benefits:
Most read in Money
Major broadband network went down again leaving customers without internet access
McDonald's adds EIGHT new items to menus from today – including a fan favourite
Boss of electrical retailer sends out warning to staff working from home
Martin Lewis issues warning to millions of Brits with savings or cash ISAs
- Universal Credit
- Income Support
- Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
- Job Seekers Allowance (income-based)
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Benefit
- Pension Guarantee Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Child Tax Credit
And you also meet one of these three criteria:
- Have a current vehicle, scooter or powered wheelchair lease agreement on the Motability Scheme or
- Have a pending application for a vehicle on the Motability Scheme, with a confirmed date to take delivery of the vehicle within the next four months or
- Need familiarisation lessons to drive a grant funded vehicle
How can I apply?
You can apply for a grant by calling 0800 500 3186 between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday and requesting an online form.
You will receive online login details to fill in the form which are valid for 30 days.
Make sure you've got your National Insurance number to hand before calling.
Once you have submitted your application it will be allocated to a case manager and it can then take up to 10 weeks for a decision on the grant.
Grants are awarded on a case-by-case basis so you aren't guaranteed to receive one.
There's a whole host of other freebies you can get if you claim benefits, including cost of living payments and energy grants.
Do you have a money problem that needs sorting? Get in touch by emailing [email protected]
Source: Read Full Article