Why is the Epsom Derby on earlier than EVER this year? | The Sun
THE EPSOM DERBY is returning for the 244th time next WEEKEND.
It's one of English racing's five classics as well as the Oaks, which also takes play over the two-day festival.
Last year Desert Crown claimed the crown, which was ridden by jockey Richard Kingscote.
A huge £1.5million is up for grabs in the Epsom Derby, with the winner claiming £850,650.
Why is the Epsom Derby 2023 on early?
The Epsom Derby usually starts at 4:30pm BST, but that will not be the case this year.
Due to the FA Cup final between Manchester City and Manchester United, the prestigious race will start at a different time.
READ MORE IN HORSE RACING
Epsom Derby to launch new LGBTQIA+ area featuring drag queen ‘Bonk’
Epsom Derby start time, runners, odds and tip for world’s greatest race
The Wembley final has been brought forward to 3pm on Saturday, June 3rd due to safety concerns.
This has resulted in the Epsom Derby being brought forward to 1:30pm BST.
James Crespi, general manager of Epsom, said this on the matter: “This year, the first Saturday in June will play host to two Derbys and two of Britain’s great sporting events.
“In order to give fans of both horse racing and football the opportunity to enjoy the Betfred Derby and the FA Cup final and to maximise the publicity and exposure of these two iconic sporting occasions, which will both be broadcast live on ITV1, we have made some changes to our usual schedule.
Most read in Horse Racing
Templegate kicks off new column with 16-1 pick for Saturday's big race
This 9-1 shot can go one better than recent visit to Ayr
My NAP's drop in grade means he'll outclass rivals with ease
Jockey David Probert makes 'luckiest escape ever' after 'horrendous accident'
“We are grateful to our partners at ITV and our generous sponsors Betfred for their help in facilitating the move, and we can’t wait for what is sure to be a great afternoon for British sport.”
When is the Epsom Derby 2023?
- The Epsom Derby 2023 will take place on Saturday, June 3.
- The race will start at 1:30pm BST at the earliest.
- Epsom Downs Racecourse will play host.
What channel is the Epsom Derby 2023?
- The Epsom Derby 2023 will be broadcast live on ITV 1.
- Coverage will begin at 12:50pm BST.
- Alternatively, you can keep up to date with all the action by following SunSport's live blog.
Can I live stream the Epsom Derby 2023 for FREE?
- The Epsom Derby 2023 can be live streamed for FREE via ITVX, providing you have a valid TV license.
- You can download the ITVX app for FREE onto your mobile or tablet device.
- Or you can live stream via the ITVX website on your desktop or laptop.
What is the schedule on the day of the 2023 Epsom Derby?
- 12.50pm UK time: Betfred Diomed Stakes (Group 3)
- 1.30pm UK time: Betfred Derby (Group 1)
- 2.10pm UK time: Princess Elizabeth Stakes (Group 3)
- 2.45pm UK time: Aston Martin 3YO Dash Handicap
- 3.20pm UK time: Aston Martin Dash (Heritage Handicap)
- 3.55pm UK time: Ebbisham Handicap
- 4.30pm UK time: Northern Dancer Handicap
- 5.05pm UK time: JRA Tokyo Handicap
The Epsom Derby 2023 will have 21 entrees:
- Adelaide Road
- Artistic Star
- Auguste Rodin
- Covent Garden
- Dear My Friend
- Dubai Mile
- King Of Steel
- Military Order
- San Antonio
- Squire Danagher
- The Foxes
- White Birch
Source: Read Full Article