Luke Shaw facing FA charge and possible BAN after Man Utd ace's ref claims over penalty not being given at Chelsea
LUKE SHAW faces an FA charge – despite withdrawing his claims that referee Stuart Attwell refused to give Manchester United a penalty because of the reaction it would cause.
Shaw talked himself into hot water in the aftermath of United’s goalless draw at Chelsea.
The England left-back was asked about Attwell’s decision to ignore the recommendation of his VAR Chris Kavanagh to award a spot-kick for handball by Callum Hudson-Odoi.
Attwell, though, stuck with his initial call after viewing the pitch-side monitor – only the sixth time this season a recommended overturn has not been heeded.
Shaw claimed that United skipper Harry Maguire had been stunned by Attwell’s justification.
He told Sky Sports: “The ref even said to H, if it’s a pen it’s going to cause a lot of talk after. So I don’t know what happened there.”
Scrambling United backtracked later on Sunday, suggesting that Shaw had misheard Maguire.
But that will not save Shaw from a charge and likely ban.
FA regulations state that comments about officials that 'imply bias or attack their integrity' lay a player open to a misconduct charge under Rule E3 (1).
But Shaw may not know his initial fate under Wednesday as the FA has 'three working days' to decide on action.
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE
The regulations make clear 'there are no set sanctions' and the punishment must be determined by an independent regulatory commission.
If Shaw were to be contacted for his 'written observations' on Wednesday, he would have until next Monday to reply, with a formal charge by the following Thursday – March 11.
The commission would then sit by March 25, during the international break, with any match-based sanction beginning immediately after the return to domestic action.
⚽ Read our Football live blog for the very latest news from around the grounds
Source: Read Full Article