Toddler who spilt Daddies on herself left with painful ‘burn marks’

Toddler who spilt Daddies tomato ketchup on herself is left with painful ‘burn marks’ after suffering an allergic reaction to chemical

  • Alice Bullard, who is 18 months old, came out in a red rash after spilling ketchup
  • Mother-of-three Leanne Bullard was bathing Alice and later noticed ‘burn marks’
  • Heinz told her Daddies contains potassium sorbate – which some are allergic to
  • Mrs Bullard, of Halesworth in Suffolk, now hopes to raise awareness of additive

A furious mother has claimed her toddler was left with painful ‘burn marks’ after eating Daddies squirty sauce. 

Alice Bullard, who is 18 months old, came out in a red rash after accidentally spilling some of the tomato ketchup on herself.

Mother-of-three Leanne Bullard was bathing Alice after dinner when she noticed bright red marks on her daughter’s skin.

When Mrs Bullard contacted Heinz to complain, she was told that Daddies ketchup contains potassium sorbate, which some youngsters are allergic to.

The firm said the chemical is not present in the glass bottle version of the sauce but only in those in plastic containers.

Alice Bullard, who is 18 months old, came out in a red rash after accidentally spilling Daddies tomato ketchup on herself

Mrs Bullard, of Halesworth, near Lowestoft in Suffolk, said she is keen for other parents to be aware their child may have a similar reaction.

The rash has since gone down and the little girl has recovered.

She said: ‘I buy the plastic bottle because it is handier than glass. This was the first time I had bought Daddies for Alice.

‘Being a toddler, she had it all over herself. When I wiped it off, underneath she was bright red and it looked like she had been scalded.

What is potassium sorbate?

Potassium sorbate is a chemical additive.

It is widely used as a preservative in foods and drinks and in rare cases can cause allergic reactions when eating.

It is used quite widely in food items such as tinned goods and pickles due to its tastelessness and lack of odor.

The FDA, the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, and the European Food Safety Authority all deem it ‘generally regarded as safe’.

‘Afterwards I thought I can’t be the only one in this situation.’

She posted what had happened to Alice on a local Facebook community page to spread awareness among parents.

It drew many comments, with parents saying their children had reacted to other dipping sauces.

A Heinz spokesman, who said Mrs Bullard had been sent a voucher for a new bottle of sauce, added: ‘We were very sorry to hear about Leanne’s experience.

‘From the information shared, it may have been a reaction to the potassium sorbate which is widely used in some foods as a preservative and is part of the recipe for Daddies Tomato Ketchup in plastic bottles.

‘We have confirmed with Leanne that Daddies Tomato Ketchup in glass bottles is made without potassium sorbate because of a different filling process, and it is not used in Heinz Tomato Ketchup.

‘Of course the details of these recipes are clearly labelled.’ 

Mother-of-three Leanne Bullard was bathing Alice after dinner when she noticed bright red marks on her daughter’s skin

Source: Read Full Article