Jason Manford show evacuated after theatre goer’s mobile phone caught fire
Jason Manford’s show at Manchester’s Lowry Theatre came to an abrupt half after an audience member’s phone caught fire during the interval.
The device is believed to have overheated and burst into flames at the “Muddle Class” gig in Salford last night.
Fire services were called at around 8pm, causing the main show to be delayed by around 20 minutes.
During the disruption, Manford’s account tweeted a picture of the scorched device, saying: “The offending mobile phone setting on fire at @The_Lowry tonight! Show should be starting again in 20 minutes.”
The Lowry later tweeted: “The Lyric Theatre was evacuated this evening after a patron’s mobile phone overheated during the interval of Jason Manford.
“Our security removed the phone from the venue & the fire service attended as per our emergency procedures.
“Show delayed by approx 20 mins before continuing.”
A theatre spokesperson added that the small blaze was caused by the phone’s battery.
One of the seats was damaged and some smoke which spread around the upper atrium and light rigging area.
It is claimed that the fire had burnt itself out by the time emergency services arrived.
However, two fire engines attended the scene to remove damaged materials and clear smoke from inside the building.
Manford is currently touring the UK and is a Salford native.
He took to Twitter to post pictures from the scene, including one showing a parked up fire engine.
He wrote: “On fire tonight at @The_Lowry ! #MuddleClass”.
Source: Read Full Article